Thursday, February 17, 2011

William Wallace on a Wednesday Night

"Ay, fight and you may die, run and you’ll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives…. but they’ll never take our FREEDOM!!!"

People who know me , know that when I am quiet it's usually not good... I really strive to express myself and be heard... Yes, I can yammer and more importantly I can blather on, but in all the words I throw at people (I freely admit I do this) I strive to be heard... don't we all...

Last night I made a breakthrough... There has been something I have been yearning to say to someone very close to me... Very difficult were the words I needed to say... But I knew I had to say them... I was driving home from Long Island late last night, and that person happened to call me... and at the start the conversation was topical - I literally found my inner William Wallace... Hey I am part Scottish... and I summoned up a lot of might, a lot of courage and found the resolve to move forward with a conversation I needed to have...

The "enemy" that has kept me at bay for all this time was my great adviscary, fear. Fear of expressing myself in such a personal way and communicating a difficult topic and being heard and understood, with NO OTHER VOICE BUT MY OWN - no presumptions or no interpretations...

Now I know that the recipient of my new found might didn't expect to have this convo... but at the end of the day, I finally got to say what I needed to...

I took the risk that Wallace references in his quote, and decided to was more important for me to say what I needed to, then not and risk being heard or not...

And I was on, my friends - there is a magical ability when we humans go for broke... I have to say that I thought my argument was sound and the conviction in my heart got translated to my voice in the most clear way I know how...

I urged this person to rage with me, rise up and take flight... Because I see that issues we share in common were holding this person back too... I knew that I needed to tell them this and I knew that I had been late in bringing that information to the table... and that was holding me back...

I am a fire sign and the conversation was on fire... I can tell you this - I have never been more pleased that I got to say what I needed to and how freeing it was for me...

"In the Year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland - starving and outnumbered - charged the fields of Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets; they fought like Scotsmen, and won their freedom."

I can now add to that quote - that in 2011, this patriotic part Scot learned how to speak out like and found his inner warrior poet - and more important on a Wednesday night on a long drive home I won some more the elusive freedoms I seek...

No comments:

Post a Comment