Friday, February 4, 2011

Little Green Men

HIT play before reading for a little mood music

So I was walking in New York city this morning, like I do every Friday morning, leaving my favorite coffee shop and was running late (what a surprise) to my 9 a.m. appointment.  Navigating the upper Westside has become my forte and as I weaved my way to 81st Street I encountered two little green men.  Now these weren't aliens - oh no that would be too simple...  These were two young men, who had to be no more than six or seven who were having quite the intense conversation.  You see, both were wearing green parka like coats and they were talking quite intensely and so engrossed in conversation it seems they just decided to stop in the only path available to cross the street. 

Now the mother of these two little green men tried to move them along as it were, but to no avail.  They simply disregarded her for a minute so intent on what I have no idea...  I noticed as I tried to get around them that they nodded at each other and simply started to move from there...  that got me thinking about the XFiles and today's post...
Scully: The answers are there, you just have to know where to look.
Mulder: That's why they put the 'I' in FBI.

That snippet of dialogue is from the very first X Files and rings very true to a lot of our life issues. No I'm not talking about the other type of little green men or vengeful tattoos, I'm talking about how if we don't investigate our own life how things might just slip right by.  But don't we all let things slip right by?


Scully: [voice over] Time passes in moments ... moments which, rushing past define the path of a life just as surely as they lead towards its end. How rarely do we stop to examine that path, to see the reasons why all things happen, to consider whether the path we take in life is our own making or simply one into which we drift with eyes closed. But what if we could stop, pause to take stock of each precious moment before it passes? Might we then see the endless forks in the road that have shaped a life? And, seeing those choices, choose another path?
So I have been quite introspective of late...  Could you tell...  And I have been troubled lately...  I needed to do exactly what Scully suggested and examine some of the moments in my life...  Now I think you have all seen that I have raised issues of personal awareness in this blog.  Telling you all how I feel and I have to again thank you all for the encouragement and support you have given me...  Some of you have identified with my writing and have spoken so powerfully to me about your experiences. 

I just had dinner with a friend and we were talking about life...  It was a typical dinner, fun and relaxing, lots of laughs and of course discussion of the yet unwritten saga of Dave and his many friends...  That got me thinking of course and it made me think what I would have thought of the conversation if it had occured oh say a few years back...    I then found this other XFile quote that might have summed up what I would have said if asked then...
"Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So, you're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers."
Pretty bleak huh?  That's how I was feeling back then...

Now things are different, and while I am making a come back, I will say this, I am better now then ever before and I only plan to keep on getting better...  I am simply seeking the truth in a very tough landscape - and I will find what I need to.. know that I am always on the hunt for understanding and to be understood.. and the truth, sometimes painful, is truly out there...

I leave you with this...

[Intro narration] There is an ancient Indian saying that something lives only as long as the last person who remembers it. My people have come to trust memory over history. Memory, like fire, is radiant and immutable while history serves only those who seek to control it, those who douse the flame of memory in order to put out the dangerous fire of truth. Beware these men for they are dangerous themselves and unwise. Their false history is written in the blood of those who might remember and of those who seek the truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment