Tuesday, February 22, 2011

hai moũsai

Oh look, didn't think I could do anything in Greek now did ya? 

Brand New Dave - Brand New Skills....

Would it be more impressive if I typed, αἱ μοῦσαι... WOW! Right, and he's not even Greek is what you're thinking...  Let's just say, for a variety of reasons, I feel certain affinities toward Greek culture as a whole and have always appreciated their mythology, epic poetry and well their food...

So the hai moũsai or the Muses have long been a favorite...  I kinda like the idea that these ladies rove the earth inspiring people to do great things... and that got me thinking - as I ponder Greek culture a lot - well basically where are they?  Why haven't I seen them of late?  Have I ever seen them?  And then it hit me, (NO I'm not going for the cheap and easy shot of the Olivia Newton John Xanadu joke...) I believe they have been hiding in plain site...  For real...  Hmmm, did a muse inspire that thought?  This game could be played for days...

But the simple fact is, you know Snow White had seven drawfs why can't Dave have nine muses?  In fact why can't we all have nine muses...

I consulted the wikipedia for some handy notes as to how I should identify them, I mean after all they have these otherworldly abilities, how could I figure that out - when in doubt go to the some what inaccurate but oft available wiki...  According to the wiki I found, "In Renaissance and Neoclassical art, the dissemination of emblem books such as Cesare Ripa's Iconologia (1593 and many further editions) helped standardize the depiction of Muses in sculptures or paintings, who could be distinguished by certain props, together with which they became emblems readily identifiable by the viewer, enabling one immediately to recognize the art with which they had become bound. Calliope (epic poetry) carries a writing tablet; Clio (history) carries a scroll and books; Erato (love/erotic poetry) is often seen with a lyre and a crown of roses; Euterpe (lyric poetry) carries a flute, the aulos; Melpomene (tragedy) is often seen with a tragic mask; Polyhymnia (sacred poetry) often is seen with a pensive expression; Terpsichore (choral dance and song) is often seen dancing and carrying a lyre; Thalia (comedy) often is seen with a comic mask; and Urania (astronomy) carries a pair of compasses and the celestial globe"

Well clearly that was the 1500's - so I took the liberty (again inspired) bringing these ladies up to speed in 2011...  So clearly Calliope would carry an Ipad, Clio a Kindle, Erato drop the lyre keep the roses, Euterpe would probably have a digital music device, Melpomene (I think I know a few of her) would be wearing some sorta of unhappy messaged shirt, Polyhymnia just looks pensive, Terpsichore would dance about, Thalia would be wearing the happy messaging shirt and Urania would have a GPS.

Ok so clearly, I know how to identify them...   So for the last few weeks, (Strange did one of them inspire me to do this blog?) I have been thinking about all of you out there who inspire me and then violia it hit me, you are my muses...

Now first off I am honored, I really am...  The fact that you changed your names and identities to keep me guessing had me going for a while...  But after long and careful observation I deduced the nine of you...  So over the next few weeks I will begin calling you out, with enough descriptors that you'll know that I know which muse you are... again, inspiration...  and share a tale of each of you... Stayed tuned...

If you think you are one of my muses, comment on this post....  we all know that I know who does what... remember the anonymous incident of last week, and without giving your name, test the waters and see if I can guess who you are...

On a serious note, I want to thank all of you for all the inspirations that you have bestowed on me.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment