Thursday, January 20, 2011

Exteriors...

I think Mark Twain said it best, "There was never yet an uninteresting life.  Such a thing is an impossibility.  Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy."

He definately got it right.

In my first post (and thank all of you for such wonderful encouraging feedback), I referenced a lot about the past year and how it has changed me.  There are all sorts of changes that have been made.  The most noticible one is of course the exterior of me (we will get to the interior - trust me that's a lot right there) but most people immediately comment on how different I look.  In fact, it usually goes something like "the body!, the hair!, the workout!?!"

Below are the warts and all pics of me then and now... 

Old Dave

A Brand New Dave


The Body!

So above there to the left is me at approximately 297 pounds and roughly 36% body fat.  Obese ain't the word for it.  I was constantly tired, over wrought and just plain unhappy.  On November 16, 2009 I did something that I had not done in 20 years, I walked into a gym and worked out.  My gym is 24/7 fitness in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey and I think that and therapy have really saved my life. The picture in orange was taken last Thursday night.  I am now 202 pounds and roughly 13.9% body fat.  (A shout out to Chris Padula who thinks the orange outfit makes me look like a Tron reject! LOL!)  Simply it is amazing.  To think that I took off an eternity of weight, 95 pounds of so, in a little over a year is amazing!  I have not felt this good I think ever... 

The Hair!

Or the lack thereof, is the second most commented thing I get.  As you can see from the "before" picture I use to have long, somewhat unkept, hair that I have always hated.  In February of 2010 I simply got sick of it and asked my stylist John to mix it up a bit.  It was like he hit the lotto, and before I knew it, I had a slightly longer version of the hair you see today.  When it was all done, it felt like I hit the lotto too...  A lot more updated and a breeze to take care of, I have to say it is one of my favorite things I have done thus far.  Also what's nice is as my hairline recedes (and yes you can tell it is and I am cool with that - actually I am almost proud of it - it shows that I have been around for a little while) and as it progressively gets shorter and shorter, til there is no more, I get to "take charge" of my folicle destiny and not be a slave to the useless emotions that are attached to a multi-billion dollar industry that preys on people.  (Oh look I think I just got a little political there!) I know one day I will be balding or bald and if someone doesn't like it - well - the reality is its my head and my hair and my decision.

The Workout!

That's the million dollar question - What do you do?  Well I will tell you that for the first 60 or so pounds I did everything all by myself...  I would do approximately 30 minutes on the stair master or eliptical machine and then do some weight machines.  In and around late March or early April I had plateaued and was not very happy.  I went to some of the classes at my gym and then I met one of their trainers Dana Wynne.  Under Dana's instruction (she has a following!) I began to lose more and more weight, found out I was doing every exercise wrong (i'm not kidding!) and most importantly I found someone who understood my goals, who was not critical of them and actually encourages me to reach them...  I'm still not there but I am a hell of a lot closer.  Day one of Dana's class I could do maybe 6 sit-ups, 3 push-ups and and very enthusiastic attempt at a pull up...  Now there is no stopping me...  Over the past 9 months, I have made incredible strides and will always be grateful to Dana and the 24/7 fitness family.

Speaking of workouts - I have decided to post my current work out by day and body part - so that perhaps those of you who have questions or want to try something different on your own - it could be a handy reference point...  So for instance today - I did my chest and back workout:

  1. 4 sets of 8 reps of the Decline Chest Press @ 200 lbs with 12 sit ups between each set
  2. 4 sets of 8 reps of the Chest Press @ 140 lbs with 12 Abdominal Leg Lifts between each set
  3. 4 Sets of 8 reps of the Incline Chest Press @140 lbs with 12 side to side sit ups between each set
  4. 4 sets of 8 reps of the Back Pull Down Press @ 230 lbs with 12 incline sit ups between each set
  5. 4 sets of 8 reps of the Chest Fly Press @210 lbs with12 oblique sit ups between each set
  6. 4 sets of 8 reps of the Lateral Pull Down @ 100 lbs with 12 sit ups between each set
  7. 4 sets of 8 reps of the Lower Back Pull @ 100 lbs with 12 sit ups between each set
Tomorrow I will work on biceps, triceps and abs as well as an hour of cardio...

All in all the exterior changes of me are moving along better than expected...  I am determined to reach my goal which is to be "beach worthy" this year for the first time in my life.  The definition of "beach worthy" doesn't fit a label or a fad look - it is what I determine it to be - but I am excited that perhaps something that has eluded me all my life is finally going to happen - excepting my body for what it is and knowing that I have worked very hard to get there.


3 comments:

  1. Dave, you've inspired me!!! Damn, you are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exhausted just reading your workout!! OMG I have to go lay on the couch and eat a big bag of SunChips now.

    xoxoxo much love the other d parano

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw FB pix of the New York, I thought, "Who's that? Not the Parano I know." How great that you've made such significant changes inside and out. How great that we all get a blog to boot. Bravo, Dave!

    ReplyDelete