Tuesday, January 18, 2011

And so it begins...

A favorite song of mine has lyrics that have played over and over in my head throughout this last year.  They go something like this… “Something has changed within me - Something is not the same, I'm through with playing by the rules - Of someone else's game, Too late for second-guessing - Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts - Close my eyes and leap!”
  These words have such a powerful meaning for me. 
In this first post, of what I hope are many – I want to start out with a note of thanks – to a whole lot of people.  The people who have been there since I first shed light on my crazy year…  I am not going to name names because I think you all know who you are… or at least I hope so… (that could cause more therapy sessions pondering that LOL!)
When faced with adversity I found that what I thought were my political instincts turned out to be my life instincts…  I went about building an infrastructure of support for myself and was so grateful that so many people reinforced my quite shaky pillars.  Once I stabilized, I began the process of moving forward instead of dwelling in a very angry past.  There is truth to the concept of “traveling in stillness” and from the outset I have been determined to take negatives and make them positives.  This blog is one of them.
Some of my relationships have changed, mostly for the better.   Love never does die, but sometimes it changes.  No matter how much I wanted to, being angry for anger’s sake is pretty stupid.  And taking a road that is the least travelled, especially when the roads are all about you, can have so many surprising benefits.
I have learned the greatness of simple joys and seek them out.  I have learned that by making tough decisions, which some of you might have disagreed with, make me feel more complete and real. Most importantly I have learned that I am not alone.
So for good or for ill, this blog is designed to be a bit of a forum, I will ask for input, and also a safe haven for people who have questions…  in the days to follow, and as my story unfurls, I hope to be a friend to people, like my friends and family to me, who are in similar situations.  So stay tuned…
A lot of people have commented on the calmness that seems to be oozing out of me, that’s because in my darkest time, when I need them the most, heroes from all walks of life, stepped up to the plate to support me – and that is truly remarkable.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what happened over the last year, Dave, but I'm wishing you your sweetest, friskiest, most wonderful year this year. You've always been one of my favorites.
    Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cuz,

    You are DEFYING GRAVITY.

    Who can say I've been changed for the better - because I knew you - Because I knew you, i have been changed for good! You are my inspiration. AWESOME job. Congratulations

    xoxo the other d parano

    ReplyDelete