Tuesday, August 2, 2011

And above all else don't drop the queen...

So true believers I have survived my first show in about 15 years... It's funny that one of the only things that has changed for me is that my confidence level was a little bit higher (not much but higher) now then what it was way back then.... I guess life will do that to anyone...


  
So I think a top 10 is in order to properly recall my experiences at the Winter's Tale...

 

10 - wearing a toga is not as easy as it looks - especially if you have to climb a rock, while holding a lit candle in a lantern and attempting to act solemn and graceful as you try and hit your mark...

9 - the art of Shakespearian Shepard dancing requires the rare combination of grapevining, hand clasping and the occasional hop... All while getting prepped to carry a 12 foot Maypole 50' off stage while dancing down hill...

8 - there are no small parts just small actors - if you are cast as multiple parts embrace your inner voices....

7 - bugs are not a delicious protein especially when flying directly into your mouth as you are speaking during a performance...

6 - when volunteering to do a dead lift of a fellow actor it is imperative to make sure that you body mike is shut down to mask the occasional grunt, groan or curse word...

5 - great audiences are manna from the heavens - great friends make great audiences...

4 - a very round hat on a very windy day equals Shakespeare vs Aliens

3 - to properly flub a line from Shakespeare simply add an "ay my lord", a "dispatch your attendants" or my personal favorite "sleepy drinks" to an old English line and say it with great authority...

2 - directors should director and no body else...

1 - above all else DO NOT DROP THE QUEEN - ok it only happen once....
Seriously I had an unbelievably incredible time doing this - to the talent cast and crew - thank you for your generosity... To the production team a superb showing and to Mary Clifford our director - thank you for reminding me why I love theatre and continuing to inspire me for all these many years (20 right?) and proving to me it's about how you tell your story...

 

ONWARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment